|Laboratory:||Clinical Biochemistry (METABOLIC)|
FATTY ACID PROFILE, ESSENTIAL, SERUM - (P) (S)
Test Code: FAP
Test Indications: This test is used for:
- Evaluating the nutritional intake and intestinal absorption of essential fatty acids.
- Identifying deficiency of essential and other nutritionally beneficial fatty acids.
- Monitoring treatment of patients with essential fatty acid deficiencies who are receiving linoleic acid (C18:2w6) and alpha-linolenic acid (C18:3w3).
* Patient's age is required. Include information regarding treatment, family history and tentative diagnosis.
Restricted to: Manitoba Home Nutrition Program. Other requests need an approval - click here for Biochemistry Approval for Test Referral (F260-11-02).
Method: Gaz Chromatography Mass Spectrometry (GC-MS) Stable Isotope Dilution Analysis
Test performed: by Mayo Clinic Laboratories
For questions/information: Call Metabolic Lab at 204-787-4530 and ask for the Biochemical Geneticist.
Patient Preparation Instructions:
1) For nutritional assessment, patient should fast overnight (12-14 hours); for patients with a suspected fatty acid oxidation disorder, collect prior to next feeding as fasting is contraindicated.
In the case of a patient on total parenteral nutrition (TPN), specimen can be collected as normal.
2) Patient must not consume any alcohol for 24 hours before the specimen is collected.
Sodium Heparin, Lavender EDTA, Red top tube are also accepted.
Serum: 0.5 mL
Pediatric Serum: 0.5 mL
Pediatric: 0.5 mL (minimum 0.15 mL)
Centrifuge and aliquot into plastic vial. Store and keep frozen.
Stability: see below
Centrifuge and aliquot into plastic vial. Store and send sample frozen to Metabolic Lab (HSC).
Send the requisition (or a clear copy) with the sample.
Stability: see below.
An interpretative report will be sent.
Within 2 Weeks
Available to Manitoba Home Nutrition Program Staff. Other requests need chemist approval.
If you have any questions, please communicate with the Metabolic Lab (HSC): 204-787-4530
Reject due to: gross lipemia
Frozen: 92 days
Refrigerated: 72 hours
Store and ship to:Mayo Clinic Lab
CPT code: 82542